Thursday, 9 April 2009

We are the UAF's worst nightmare.

by johnofgwent

I have a confession to make. I've been reading lancaster unity's blog. And after you get past their desperate attempt to take the pi55 out of our members (hey, denise, why not come look over my shoulder while I moderate THIS site and let you read some of the stuff YOUR people put here. They must all be medically qualified - because I can't understand a word of 80% of their jumbled up letters and failed attempts at spelling, but they seem to have a grasp of anatomy second only to gynacologists which they use to fill the other 20%

But I didn't come here to mock the afflicted or poke fun at the politically challenged. No, I came here to share with you the fear that is so intense on their blog that you can actually sense it as you read their words from the screen. Here's what some poor chap called Nick Lowls had to say about us and the very real chance of electoral success that is coming our way in a few short weeks:-

Dear reader,

I am writing this open letter to you because I need your help. With the European election only a few weeks away it is absolutely vital that we all do what we can to stop the BNP from winning seats in the European Parliament. A significant BNP victory would herald the era of four-party politics ....

This election is being contested under proportional representation and so every vote counts. It is also a turnout election so we need everyone who opposes the BNP’s politics of hate to vote and convince others around them to vote.

The BNP threat

The threat from the British National Party in the forthcoming European election is very real. With just a small increase in the share of the vote the party secured at the last European election in 2004, the BNP could win three or more seats. Let there be no misunderstanding, a substantial breakthrough in the European election would change the British political landscape for years to come....

A significant BNP breakthrough would fundamentally change the BNP’s fortunes and our ability to stop them. They would achieve respectability and credibility. They would become regular fixtures on news programmes. We would no longer be able to pressurise the authorities to stop their activities.

Nick Griffin, leader of the BNP, needs to increase his 2004 vote in the North West from 6.4% to just 8.5%. Simon Darby only has to increase the BNP’s 7.5% vote in 2004 to 10.5% to take a seat in the West Midlands. And Andrew Brons requires his share of the vote to grow from 8% to 10.5% to take a seat in Yorkshire and The Humber. The BNP even pose a threat in the East Midlands and London.

The BNP might only have polled 5.3% in London in last year’s London Assembly election but this could easily rise to the necessary 8.5% if inner London, which came out strongly for Ken Livingstone and Labour 12 months ago, remains at home this time.

Few people appear interested in the European election. A poll taken towards the end of last year found only 3% even knew that there was an election this year at all. Most people who are interested probably dislike the EU all the same.

In 2004 the BNP was prevented from winning through a high turnout, caused largely by all-out elections in the Metropolitan authorities in the North and West Midlands on the same day, and a huge vote for the UKIP. Neither of these factors are likely to benefit us this time. With no local elections in the urban areas of the North West, Yorkshire and The Humber and the West Midlands, turnout is likely to plummet.

We have little hope of stopping the BNP.

One trade unionist in Burnley put it very succinctly at a recent meeting. If only one million of the five million registered voters in the North West bother to vote then Nick Griffin will only need 90,000 votes to get elected. And they will certainly get this.

Yours in solidarity

Nick Lowles
Thanks Nick

I could not have put it better myself